Sunday, September 07, 2014

Acquired PMI's PMP credentials

 When I acquired my PMP credential I had close to 5 years of Project Management experience out of which 3 years of sound PM experience. I had little respect for any certifications before I took this exam, I must say for a moment I thought I would flunk on this exam while writing it. PMI after these many years keeping the exam challenging and you have to be a PM to succeed with good scores.

Exam Duration : Most annoying aspect of the exam is the 4 hours test, yes I could finish only at 3:58:40. Since this test I never sat for an exam this long. Luckily I practiced couple of 4 hours exam before I took the test which really helped.

Materials : I read RMC's/Rita Mulcahy's latest version of the PMP material  and PMBOK couple of times and nothing else.. I made sure I am not memorizing it - yes i did not have to memorize I,T&T,O. Before the exam day, given any process I was able to guess key I,T&T,O so I take my understanding on the topics are good.

Practice Exams: Online has good amount of practice exams which helps to identify the weaker spots in the knowledge but of very least helpful for the actual exam. Compared to the tech certifications I have written, PMI's quality of exam questions are phenomenal - one has to read the question couple of times to understand the situation and choose the answers. Some of the free practice tests I have taken are from - headfirst pmp, skillsoft, pmstudy, izenbridge etc.,

Surprises:

  • Did not get any questions in the professional ethics category, i was expecting close to 15 questions which could have been answered easily. 
  • Many math related questions which took more than 2 minutes to calculate and respond - considering the volume of questions - i did not expect these many on the exam.
  • Many direct questions asking for input / output / T&T . I did not expect such questions.
  • Forming, Storming, Norming... - there were four questions on this tuckman ladder principle alone !
  • I had to mark close to 60 questions for review ! high number compared to the the practice tests i have taken.
  • There were no direct questions from the PMBOK which is good, no one has to memorize anything in the book.
  • My score - Initiation, Executing, M&C - Proficient // Planning & Closing - Moderate Proficient

This certifications has been lingering on my head for awhile and finally I can put it to rest. Special mentioning about my dear wife who was house arrested in the last two weeks while I was crazily reading through all the materials, Thanks Honey.






No comments: